We are completely heartbroken in the wake of Australia’s ongoing battle with the raging bushfires that continue to burn. The widespread fire has taken precious lives and affected countless others – thousands of homes have burnt to the ground, millions of acres have been torched, and nearly half a billion animals have been killed, threatening the existence of some species entirely.
With so much devastation it’s easy to feel hopeless & helpless, but there are ways to contribute from afar. Our favorite Australian illustrator and friend, Aaron Favaloro (@aaronfavaloro), auctioned off an original sketch through his Instagram page, featuring firefighters (and a rescued Koala) from the NSW Rural Fire Service. If you’re not particularly skilled in the sketch department, you can still use the power of social media to share knowledge and spread support.
We also invite you to join us in showing your love and support for Australia by donating to one of the many charities & organizations that are raising money for the firefighters, residents, wildlife, and land that have seen so much tragedy.
How To Help Evacuees
- Donate to the Australian Red Cross, which is supporting thousands of people in evacuation and recovery centers across the country.
- Donate to the Salvation Army Australia, which is providing meals and support to evacuees and first responders in multiple locations.
- Donate to the St. Vincent de Paul Society, which is helping evacuated families recover. The organization is providing food and clothing, helping cover bills, and donating household items to those whose homes have been destroyed.
How To Help Firefighters
- Donate to the New South Wales Rural Fire Service. The service has set up specific funds for the families of volunteer firefighters who have been killed while on duty this fire season.
- Additionally, actor and comedian Celeste Barber is also hosting a fundraiser for the Trustee for NSW Rural Fire Service and Brigades donations fund.
How To Help Wildlife
- Donate to WIRES, a wildlife rescue nonprofit that is rescuing and caring for thousands of sick, injured and orphaned native animals.
- Donate to the World Wildlife Fund Australia, which is directing its efforts towards koala conservation.
- Donate to the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital's GoFundMe, which has rescued and treated dozens of koalas suffering from severe burns. The hospital is using donations to install automatic drinking stations in burnt areas to help wildlife searching for water and to establish a wild koala breeding program to ensure the survival of the species
*This list has been shared via CBS news and can also be found here: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/australia-fires-how-to-help-victims-evacuees-firefighters-animals-wildfires/
Photo Credit: Aaron Favaloro (@aaronfavaloro) | Earth @earth